Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Hello, My Name is God!

Well...we are two weeks into our new series at Raleigh Road BC (www.raleighroad.com) and I think God is really challenging us about who HE is. The inspiration for this series comes from a line in Francis Chan's book Crazy Love. In the context of talking about "lukewarm, halfhearted, or stagnant Christians" Chan makes this statement: "The crux of it all is why we are this way, and it is because we have an inaccurate view of God" (p. 22). Wow...as I read that statement in early June (on vacation, sitting by the pool), it struck me that the most appropriate way to begin a ministry at Raleigh Road would be to point people to God. Thus...this series was born.

A little later in the book, Chan quotes A. W. Tozer: "What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us...Worship is pure or base as the worshiper entertains high or low thoughts of God. For this reason the gravest question before the Church is always God Himself, and the most portentous fact about any man is not what he at a given time may say or do, but what he in his deep heart conceives God to be like" (Chan, 30). What an amazing statement.

It is my hope and prayer that as we begin to get a clearer and clearer glimpse of who God is...we will be broken, humbled, and restored by the God who does all three!

For those of you who like schedules...here is the overall sermon plan for this series:
July 12 - "I am Bigger than You Think" - God's passion for His Glory
July 19 - "I am Unique in the Universe" - God's Holiness
July 26 - "I Have No Beginning or End" - God's Eternity and Independence
August 2 - "I Know More than You Can Imagine" - God's Onmiscience
August 9 - "I Have More Power than You Can Fathom" - God's Omnipotence
August 16 - "I Am Mighty to Save" - God's Salvation in and through Jesus Christ

I hope to see you Sunday...

Pastor Rob

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rob, good to see you up and running again. Let me know when they get the sermons up on the website, I'd like to hear them. Lack