Monday, July 6, 2009

Email, Facebook, and Blog Notes

Thought it might be a good idea to post a few of my own personal Email and Facebook "rules" for my new friends at Raleigh Road BC and anyone else who sends email my way...these are not intended for or directed to anyone in particular, just a quick public posting for clear communications:


1. I seldom forward anything...ever...even if it is a really touching story...etc.

2. I NEVER forward anything that tells me "if you really love God" / "if you are proud of our troops" / "if you are proud to be an American" / "if you really love Jesus" send this to 10 friends. Really? I love God. I love Jesus. I am extremely proud of our troops and I am proud (and blessed) to be an American...but, neither my faith nor my sense of patriotism are increased by sending an email to 10 (or 100) people.

3. I NEVER forward emails that tell me to send this to the person who sent it to me and 10 other friends that I really care about...do you really want my concern / love / affection to be tied to an email? I didn't think so...If I know you, I love you...at least in Christ, and maybe as a great friend...but, I don't think our relationship is determined by an email that has been circulating for years!

4. I ALWAYS verify stories emailed to me at www.snopes.com ...if you send me one that proves to be false (i.e. threat to religious broadcasting, Pres Obama's muslim allegiances, stories about the troops, etc), I will send you (and everyone else who received the original email) a note that says something like: "God is a God of Truth...and he calls us to be people of truth. Spreading falsehoods does not advance God's kingdom. Please verify stories like this before forwarding."

5. If any of the first 4 offend you...I apologize and ask that you simply do not send me the types of emails in question...that way you will not be perpetually offended! Ha!

6. On Facebook, I try my best to keep my status updated...but, I do not guarantee that I will respond quickly to every comment or message. I will do my best...

7. On Facebook, I ALMOST NEVER respond to event invitations, mafia requests, or quizzes...And, I NEVER "send gifts", etc on Facebook...quite honestly, I have enough trouble just keeping it updated with my current status!

8. As for this blog...I will do my dead level best to keep it updated once a week...usually related to something God is teaching me or something we are learning together at RRBC. Of course, sometimes I will digress and put up a post about something completely "unspiritual" (i.e. Like the one I am thinking about posting regarding my newfound appreciation for Tony Stewart...after he spun Kyle Bush!)

Ok...that should do it...hopefully this will prevent too many hurt feelings in the wonderful world of electronic communication!

God's best...
Pastor Rob

No comments: